What is Sensory Percussion?
The EVANS Hybrid Sensory Percussion Sound System is a drumming system that uses sensors and software to track and interpret drummers’ movements hits and translate them into digital signals. The system uses small sensors that attach to the drums to capture the unique nuances of a drummer’s technique. Via the Sensory Percussion Portal, these sensors send signals to your computer, which uses machine learning algorithms to interpret the drummer's playing and map it to a range of different sounds within the Sensory Percussion software. Sensory Percussion allows drummers to create and control multiple sounds with each drum, producing complex, layered sounds in real-time. It’s a powerful tool for drummers looking to explore new sonic possibilities and push the boundaries of their instrument.
Can I buy the pieces separately?
We offer the complete sound system, additional drum sensors, pickup elements, and replacement TRS cable separately. The Sensory Percussion 2 software is not currently available to purchase separately.
What other hardware do I need?
You’ll need a computer, drum set and a pair of headphones or speakers to get started. The bundle has everything else you need – including cables. Here are the required computer specs to use the software:
- Windows 10 (Build 1909) or later / macOS Mojave 10.14 or later
- Intel@ Core™ i5 processor, Apple M1 Chip, or an AMD multi-core processor
- 8 GB RAM (16 GB recommended)
- 1 GB hard drive space for software installation and base samples
Do I need special drumheads?
Sensory Percussion will work with standard acoustic heads or low-volume mesh heads, as long as the pickup element has been applied. We recommend using EVANS drumheads for the best results.
What can I do with Sensory Percussion?
The beauty of Sensory Percussion is its flexibility – if you can imagine it, you can do it. Here are some ways people use it...
- Live performance with a band – expand live sound with layers, triggering samples, sections, and live effects.
- Solo live performance – bang out melodies and entire song structures to make solo drum performances stand out.
- Low volume practice – make playing with headphones more fun and engaging.
- Composing music and generating new melodic ideas – musical exploration has never been easier, as unique ideas to come easily and intuitively through physical performance.
- Experimenting with new techniques, textures, and tones – push the envelope and generate sounds no one has heard before with unlimited flexibility.
- Connecting lighting or visuals to live performance – use the huge amounts of information that Sensory Percussion captures from your playing to control lighting or live visuals through external connections that will wow audiences in videos or on stage.
What sort of sounds and effects are in the software?
The Sensory Percussion software offers 6 built-in sound packs including over 100 presents. These cover a range of sounds and styles, from classic electronic drums, melodic tones and chords, to faithful recreations of acoustic drum sets. These kits can be tweaked and remixed, or you can start a new kit from scratch using the over 2300 raw samples included or your own sound library for unlimited flexibility. The software also includes classic effects like delays, reverbs, filters, and EQs – there are currently 17 effect modules in total. Using MIDI functionality to connect with other musical devices allows your soundscape to be expanded even further.
Can I use the EVANS Portal Audio Interface with other audio programs?
Aside from the sensor inputs, the EVANS Portal Audio Interface is a fully-functioning class compliant audio interface that can be used to record audio through the XLR combo jacks on the front as well as the additional line inputs located on the rear of the unit. Whether you’re setting up a vocal mic for a live performance or tracking guitars and synthesizers to your composition in the studio, the Portal fits perfectly in a modern audio setup.
Is the EVANS Portal a “drum brain”?
It is not – it connects the drums to the Sensory Percussion software. Sensory Percussion requires a computer for use.
How do I set up the EVANS Portal?
Following the instructions included in the packaging is the best way to get started. For specific setup instructions and videos, refer to the online manual here.
How do I troubleshoot Sensory Percussion?
Start by consulting the online manual here.
The 501c3 non-profit
The D'Addario Foundation is powering change by bringing music instruction to underserved communities and providing children with inspiration and creativity that lifts their confidence.