By: Mike Christiansen
With new students always a possibillity, I thought I would offer a first-day-of-class survey that you could be hand out to your students. This could be done at the beginning or end of the first class. The survey could also be given to private students at, or prior to, their first lesson.
It's always a good idea to know the musical background of your students and discover something about their taste in music. It only takes a couple of minutes for the students to complete the survey and it can provide loads of helpful information for teaching your class or private student. Feel free to copy this survey and use it as is, or augment the survey to fit your needs.
Getting to Know You
1) Have you played an instrument before? Yes No
If yes, for how long? _______________________
What Instrument? __________________
2) Have you ever taken a music lesson? Yes No
3) Does anyone else in your family play an instrument? Yes No
4) Do you play another instrument? Yes No
If yes, what instrument? ________________________________
5) What is your favorite band or who is your favorite musician?
6) What is the title of a song you would like to learn to play?